Thursday, April 22, 2010

Product Comparison: Hot Tools IONIC® Anti-Static Salon Dryer VS. Biosilk Tourmaline Ceramic Dryer

Last week my Conair blow dryer of 2 years FINALLY gave out on me. You're probably asking..FINALLY? already? It's only been 2 years...well here's the thing, I'm not a big fan of Conair or Revlon hair products whatsoever, I just dealt with what I had b/c it was a gift from my Mom.

I've had Conair and Revlon hair curlers as well as hair dryers in the past and I HATED them w/ a passion. They had no 'juice' to them. Weren't hot enough, strong enough, wouldn't hold a curl, etc. So eventually it started sparking and would shut off by itself while leaving a lingering smell of burnt...

So I said GOOD RIDDANCE & started looking into new hair dryers! With a $5 off coupon, I went to an Ulta and tried to decide between a Hot Tools or Biosilk brand dryer. Both were listed for $40 and that was the most I was willing to spend on a blowdryer.

Now to give you some background info, I LOVE Hot Tools. I've had the same straightner for 5 years now and it still works like a dream. On top of that, all of my curling irons are also Hot Tools (I have 3 to be exact) which have also been around for 2-3 years. So take a guess at which brand I went for....

BIOSILK!



WHAT!?
Why you ask? I know, I know...it makes NO SENSE. I was just in the mood to try out a different brand b/c every once in awhile I'm curious.

However,
when I went to use it for the first time I noticed it didn't heat up at all,'Oh crap..I must've grabbed a broken one.' is what I thought. I figured b/c it was a 'Ceramic' hair dryer it must not get as hot as regular dryers. So a few tries & a few days later it was taking me almost 30 minutes to dry my hair! Some more background info, granted I have straight & long hair, it's THIN. It's NEVER taken me this long to dry my hair, 15 minutes TOPS. I'd HAD it, enough with this crappy dryer when I could've stuck by with my trusty and true Hot Tools...



Don't get me wrong, believe it or not the ONLY problem I had with the Biosilk dryer was how it didn't let out much heat. As far as power, that baby gave me tons of volume especially b/c of the fantastic narrow nozzle (see picture above). But even though it gave me volume, my hair didn't come out silky or smooth b/c there wasn't much heat coming out of the thing. Instead it felt more brittle b/c it was being dried with mostly cool air.

So the next day I went and exchanged it for none other than the Hot Tools blow dryer. So far I love it. The Hot Tools dryer also comes with an attachment, but it's not AS narrow so it doesn't give AS much volume as the Biosilk, but it still gives volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment